Tuesday, April 21, 2009

At Least i Knew i Had a Shot until...

And i am blogging again because of another disappointment.

This afternoon, after contemplating long and hard on whether i should call or not, i decided there's no harm in doing a phone interview. I was nervous, i got to admit. The last interview i had was on the Philippines, in the Korean Embassy on how i became a teacher, where i came from (you're the first one i ever interviewed who was born and raised on the Metro AND married a Korean[IDIOT MAN]) or why i married my husband (an even bigger stupidity). Okay, starting to get round in circles here...

My last job in the Philippines, it was ME who did the interviews. In the University i worked at was a charity case. I was called in to do the kids a favor. The students i had all came to me. Today i had to undergo a serious anxiety attack before placing that call. I was going to call TWO possible employers. I should have called yesterday, but courtesy dictates, i just sent my resume so call the next day just to be sure it was read, and to be extra polite, i had to check my mail before calling. NOTHING, so i decided to call right after lunch. And i did.

The first call i placed, it was a secretary, i assume, who answered the phone. The man i was hoping to talk to was still having lunch (i suppose) so i had to call again after an hour. I called again, and the phone call was ignored. I'm not calling again...

The second phone call i did, i was able to reach the manager. We talked for a couple minutes until i mentioned that i was NOT a native speaker. He asked a couple more questions until finally he said,

i would like to hire you, but we have to give priority to US or Canada etc...

aww... OUCH! I thanked him for his time, and spent the rest of my afternoon weeping. Pathetic that i cried over rejection when i used to NEVER care. I turned into a wimp! So, i took a shower, and tried to wash away the thoughts that started tormenting me again.... that i can't get an effing job because my nationality gets in the way. Obviously, it failed miserably.
BECAUSE these people would rather hire an inexperienced anybody from those countries, born with English as their first language. The Irish has the worst accent (my opinion, nobody else's) i have ever encountered. I tried listening to Irish accent and i was terribly annoyed. It's hardly recognizable. The kiwis, their pronunciation of words are almost homophonic! Indiscernible unless you pay close attention to. US and Canada are linked together, contemporary conversations are usually done in their style... Brits and Australians are holders of the typical old-fashioned english (no offense). Their accent are usually what's used with it. I SAID USUALLY, not all!

I wonder why the Korean Government announced that there's a possibility of our kind to work here, when obviously, there is no chance in hell that we could. All recruiting agencies i have tried won't cater to my kind. Early this year, it was announced that Asian teachers will egt a shot at the ESL job market of Korea this year, WHEN HIRING SEASON has come, and is closing soon.

No comments: